Company history

barryhodson

Barry originally qualified as an engineering draftsman with a passion for cars and motorbikes. His first car restoration work started in the early seventies, where he worked for the owner of the Castle Donington Museum restoring historic racing cars.

Barry then set up his own business running a service station in Leicester with car restoration and motor racing as a theme, whilst at the same time competing in Formula Ford and Modified Sports Car Championships.

In 1979, the business of Barry Hodson Cars was established at its present location in Twyford, initially specialising in E-Type Jaguars and race car preparation. As the reputation of the business grew and the opportunity to build, restore and service other makes of cars arose, the foundation for the present business was established.

Successful racing projects include the building and running of Caterham Sevens, Lotus Cortinas, Healey 3000s (all of which won their appropriate championships), Triumph TRs and, more recently, the 1963 Lola GT Mark 6/GT40 Prototype. This was rebuilt from a wreck to potential race winner in six months and then ran it for its owners at Le Mans, Goodwood etc.

Another recent project was the 1956 EJS Climax Special which Barry totally rebuilt and raced it himself at the Goodwood Revival.

Photographs of the Lola GT Mark 6, the EJS Climax Special and many other restoration projects are available to view on the Ongoing Projects section of this website - Click here for details.